DR Congo National Team Faces 21-Day Isolation Rule Over Ebola Outbreak Ahead of 2026 World Cup.
The Democratic Republic of Congo’s World Cup dream has hit an unexpected hurdle. U.S. authorities have ordered the DR Congo national football team to complete a 21-day isolation period before entering the United States for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, due to an ongoing Ebola outbreak in the country.
The decision was confirmed Friday by Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the FIFA World Cup.
The U.S. government says any member of the Congolese delegation must stay in a “bubble” where they are currently training and isolate for 21 days or risk being denied entry.
“The Congolese delegation must maintain a bubble where they currently are training in Belgium and isolate for 21 days or risk being denied entry”.
Congo cancelled its planned training camp in Kinshasa after an Ebola outbreak was declared in eastern DRC last week. The team relocated to Belgium, where they’re preparing for friendlies against Denmark on June 3 and Chile on June 9.
The outbreak involves the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola. As of May 22, 2026, authorities report nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths. The WHO has raised the risk to “very high” for a national outbreak and declared it a public health emergency of international concern.
How It Affects the Team
DR Congo is in Group K for the World Cup. Their schedule:
- *June 17*: vs Portugal in Houston ca8e
- *June 23*: vs Colombia in Guadalajara, Mexico ca8e
- *June 27*: vs Uzbekistan in Atlanta ca8e
The U.S. CDC has banned non-U.S. passport holders who have been in DR Congo, Uganda, or South Sudan in the previous 21 days from entering. 4e08
All of Congo’s players and coach Sebastien Desabre are based outside the DRC, mostly in Europe. That means the team itself isn’t directly in the outbreak zone. But a few officials who travelled from Kinshasa to Belgium this week must leave the DRC by Thursday to avoid the ban.
A team spokesperson said there’s no change to their schedule yet. “We have kept our training programme. No player in the squad has come from DR Congo”.
FIFA and U.S. Response
FIFA said it’s “aware of and monitoring the situation” and is in close communication with the Congo DR Football Association to ensure the team gets all medical and security guidance.
The U.S. Department of State Health Services said it’s working with the CDC, FIFA, and local health departments “to ensure the health and safety of the teams, spectators, and all Texas residents”.
DR Congo is expected to arrive in the U.S. on June 10 or 11, ahead of their opener against Portugal on June 17 in Houston
The team had planned a three-day send-off trip to Kinshasa with President Felix Tshisekedi, but that was cancelled. The public event will now take place in Brussels on May 25 instead.
This is DR Congo’s second World Cup appearance, and first since 1974 when the country was known as Zaire. Players like Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Yoane Wissa, and captain Chancel Mbemba are part of the squad.
For now, the focus is on keeping the “bubble” intact in Belgium and getting through the 21-day isolation period. If they don’t, the Leopards risk missing their first World Cup in 52 years.
Comments
Post a Comment